It wound up being a good weekend of stitching for me during International Hermit and Stitch Weekend. I pushed forward on Linda’s piece for the 2010 UFO RR and finished the area I wanted to complete. It’s now shipping off to Catherine in Arizona for its final round before heading home.
This scene was a pretty kit (Dimensions, I think) with lots of half and whole stitches. It was a fun stitch, even if it’s not quite my normal preferred image style.
I forgot to take a “before” photo on this one, but the area I worked was the left center portion – all of the houses and the grass and bushes underneath. The large trees on the top left were already there, as was the blue woman and the retaining wall to her left. It seemed like a perfect area to fill in to really make the piece look that much closer to home.
It’s amazing to me how filling all of the gaps in an area do that – just finishing a small area of form makes the entire piece feel that much more complete. In any case, this piece has definitely made an amazing journey during its time on the robin. When it started, there was only a small part of the horse completed in the center of the piece. Everything else has been added as it has traveled around (literally) the world. There is still quite a bit to do, but with all of the half-stitches involved, I imagine it will go pretty quickly. It’s stitched on Aida, so the work is pretty easy. I know a lot of people complain about Aida. While I normally stitch on linen and evenweave these days, I do enjoy stitching on Aida – sometimes it’s great to be able to not have to focus on where the heck the hole is.
This is the closeup of the area I did. It’s really not as many hours as I normally do on robins, but I’d fallen behind in mid-June due to some project insanity at work, didn’t do as much stitching during my vacation week, and now am scrambling a bit to catch up.
There is some backstitching left to do on the houses. That should make them pop out nicely. I did think the mix of whole and half stitches was a bit strange, but that’s a Dimensions piece for you. In the end, I’m sure the effect will look very good. It does from a distance, even without the backstitching definition.
Finishing Linda’s piece did take me a bit longer than expected, so I didn’t touch Tali’s gorgeous Sleeping Beauty piece (Mirabilia) for the 2011 UFO RR at all until last night. I adore the colors in it – so far a mix of light greens and purples with a smattering of blue. It’s probably another Mira I’m going to add to my lust pile. 🙂 Pics of that one will go up this weekend when I finish my hours on it and send it along. It’s due to go out on Friday. I’m likely to keep it the weekend, since the robin’s a bit gummed up due to the recent Canada postal strike. Blu is just starting on last round’s piece anyway. So I’ll give it some proper attention on Saturday and Sunday and package it up for a Monday mailing.
In any case, I have X-Files and Dexter episodes to thank for most of my recent stitching mojo. 🙂
This was my first experience with a Lanarte kit. I have to say – their patterns are incredibly easy to read. Nice and clear symbols on the chart itself. I completed the wing tip, wing spot, and a few of the light blue whispies on the upper right.
It surprises me a bit in the photo – most of my stitching (and others’) was done with one strand. It’s a lot brighter in this photo than I would expect with that coverage.
So all in all, it’s been a good few weeks of stitching. The IHSW definitely helped me get some stuff pushed through, and I’m feeling just about caught up again. 🙂
Tonight I’ll be posting my new giveaway, so stay tuned!