October was an insanely busy month – between an increase in workload, Max having a lingering headcold for most of the month, and the Red Sox post-season games (most of which lasted until midnight, resulting in very sleepy mornings), I seriously feel like I need a vacation. And I realized that normally, I would have had a vacation this past weekend. For the past three years, I’d attended Stitchers Hideaway in Mystic to get away for a nice, long 5-day October weekend. This year I just didn’t have the time to take off due to maternity leave earlier this year, and I need to save my remaining days for Christmas week (sigh). So no vacation for me, despite really needing one.
Since it’s a new month, it’s time to revisit my crafting goals for last month, and to make my new ones. It also kicks off a new round of my stitching rotation. The photo shows my planner page with what I plan to work on this round. The ornaments are the most pressing items, followed by kitting up the round robin project on the bottom, since that will need to be mailed out shortly after the new year. Everything else has no deadline, so I’ll be able to stitch them at my leisure.
I’m trying to find the best way to stitch on rotation while also juggling a baby. Traditionally I’ve stitched on a 10 hour, very structured rotation. I’m finding that it’s simply impossible to keep it so structured when I need to balance being a mom… mostly because I can’t remember how many hours I’ve done on a project! So instead, I’m selecting a few pieces from all of the ones I have in progress, throwing them on the list, and attempting a goal-based rotation. Once I hit the goal listed, I’ll move on to another piece (not necessarily the next one on the list – I’m allowing myself to pick from what’s remaining this round). My last rotation round worked fairly well, although it went a lot slower than I’m used to – two months for one rotation? I know, I know… the fact that I can find any stitching time with a 7-month old is miraculous in itself!
So onto my monthly goals…
For October, I wanted to…
1) Do some blog entries about stitching in general – why it’s important to me, what excites me, my history with it, etc. Maybe I’ll even do one of those funky lingo translation posts! Yep. Did one at the beginning of the month. I have another scheduled for later this month.
2) Complete two entries in my stitching rotation (any pieces) Yes. Finished my rotation completely.
3) Start stitching Christmas ornaments (it seems early, but for crafters, it’s really not…) Haven’t started stitching them, but I have selected them. Starting them this week.
4) Update my supply and craft stash lists No. Didn’t have time. Tablng this until after the holiday chaos.
5) Become more active with reading other blogs. Somewhat… I’ve been reading. Need to start commenting more, though.
For November, I want to…
1) Stitch and mail my ornament for the Teresa Wentzler exchange.
2) Stitch Max’s First Yule/Christmas ornament for the tree.
3) Gather my materials for the 2014 Band Sampler round robin.
4) Blog every day and comment on at least two blogs every day.
5) Open WIPocalypse signups for 2014.
Hopefully it’ll be another productive crafty month!