Five Minute Friday: Fight

Five Minute Friday1. Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking.
2. Link back here and invite others to join in.
3. And then absolutely, no ifs, ands or buts about it, you need to visit the person who linked up before you & encourage them in their comments. Seriously. That is, like, the rule. And the fun. And the heart of this community..

OK, are you ready? Please give us your best five minutes on:::

Fight…

Some mornings, I just don’t even feel like getting out of bed.  Same old, same old frustrations lurk on the other side of the bedroom door, and for one day, just one day, maybe they’ll go away if I just stay in bed.

I know that won’t happen.  It just delays solving things, getting stuff done, and preventing the stuff from getting worse.

So I fight off the need to cocoon within myself, get up, and get moving.  Not always with grace or pleasantness, but I get up.  I fight.  I keep moving.

Sometimes that’s all I need to get myself into a better mood and a better groove for the day.  Those days are wonderful – I’m productive, I feel like I’m worth something, like I’m actually capable of this adult life I’m supposedly able to live these days.

Then there are the other days, where the fight is just to keep moving for the day.  On those days, it takes every ounce of me to get through the day.  By the time I get home from work, I’m simply too exhausted to do anything beyond remote control care of Max.  Don’t ask me what I want for dinner – I don’t know.  Just feed me.

Get me to bed.

Let me refresh so I can fight another day.

This is normal for me.  It has been for years.  I don’t know if it’s depression or whether this is how everyone feels – either from time to time or every day.  This just is.

I just keep on keeping on, as it were.  It’s not always pretty, but I keep managing to get moving.

I keep fighting the good fight.

Facebook Comments

13 comments

1. Colline says:

It is a fight I participate in too. There seem to be so many things to do: work, home, children. And not enough time in which to do it!
    (Headed over from FMF)

• Measi says:

Seriously… can someone get on that time travel/time manipulation invention one of these days so I can fit everything in? 🙂

Happy Friday!

2. Melanie @ M&M says:

So true and especially with a little one. BUT, yes it does sound a bit like some depression — hesitant comment, can you tell 🙂

Have a checkup. Talk honestly with your doctor. Carve out five minutes of “me time” every day.

You keep fighting the good fight. You are not alone!

visiting from FMF

• Measi says:

I’m already on medication for post-partum depression, Melanie. But yes, the next followup appointment to check medication levels and such is coming up in a couple of weeks.

No worries… I’m on it. 🙂

Thanks for the post!

3. Scott says:

As long as you keep fighting, you’re still in the game. You have to be challenged, stretched and tested to know what real living is all about.

• Measi says:

So true. Life really isn’t that interesting if there isn’t a challenge to overcome, is it?

Thanks for your comment!

4. beth says:

Yes, keep on fighting:). But also talk to someone if you sense depression. The hardest days for me our the days when I let my job get me down. Spending time away from my children when I am not enjoying my children is tough. Sometimes I can focus on the positive points (because they are there) but other times it is just too much. And I sleep horrible and then don’t want to get up. This year I will fight for a new job:). Take care!

5. Amy KW says:

Hi Melissa –
    I’m stopping over from FMF. I think so many of us can relate to what you’ve described. And isn’t it reassuring to hear that, and know that to be true? This thing called life with the repetition and normalness of every day is the gift we have been given. Thanks so much for sharing your heart!

6. Sonda in OR says:

This, too, has been my struggle for the past two years. It’s comforting to know there are others out there who are fighting the same fight, because it’s so easy to be ashamed that I’m not coping better.

7. Annette says:

I feel the same way except it’s often when taking a shower. I just stand under the hot water and think as long as I am in here I don’t have to deal with the day. Then after a few minutes, I just move on, get out, dry off, get dress and start the day. Of course there are the days I just want to stay in bed, but that never happens… I have three four-legged alarm clocks that get me moving out of bed to go outside and feed them their breakfast first thing in the morning.

Comments are closed.