Five Minute Friday: Care

Five-Minute-Friday-4 Those who’d like to participate in Five Minute Friday will write for five minutes on the topic of the week, post it on their own blog and link up the post here.  This is meant to be a free write, which means: no editing, no over-thinking, no worrying about perfect grammar or punctuation.

Just write.

This week’s prompt is:  CARE

He smiles at me, gives me a little snort and a giggle, and then gently leans his head against me – barely touching. This is how he shows love. This is how he shows he cares.

When I’m overtired and get a bit whimpery as I’m trying to get him down for the night, he sits up, looks at me with those grey eyes that reflect my own, and just leans his head against me.

imageThis is how a nineteen month old shows that he cares, that he loves, and that he’s trying to comfort – mimicking what I do when he’s upset.

I admit, it usually does help tremendously. I kiss his head, wrap my arms around him, and just rock him. He’s too young still to really reciprocate the hugs. For now, the head lean will do. I understand what he means by it.

And sometimes, it’s just enough.

Facebook Comments

15 comments

1. Cynthia Lee says:

oooh … five minute friday. I love that concept! It could easily be incorporated into my regular friday post.

and I love what you have been able to capture here in just a few minutes. Nineteen months … it’s been a long time since I had one that young. Enjoy him!

2. susan says:

Lovely snippet of life that you shared with us.

Oh, the head lean – it can be so healing, comforting, and meaningful. My kiddos are in their 30’s but my grand daughter is 20 months and so I am again familiar with the awesomeness of a head lean.

3. Alana says:

Oh, I remember those days. I hope, if I am ever a grandmother, that I can recover some of that closeness. Enjoyed your post and the memories – thank you!

4. Alina says:

That’s just adorable! Such a tender moment. I couldn’t see it more clearly not even if it was a photograph. Beautifully written.
    And I also like the idea of 5 minutes Friday. I might join soon! 🙂

5. Summer says:

oh how sweet are those moments? even to this day, as my kids are older, I treasure that head lean just as much as the wrapped arms.

xoxo

6. Jodi says:

A child’s love is precious. You have captured his love beautifully. I recall the snuggles with my daughter when she was little and just want to go hug her again.

7. Sarah says:

So sweet!! I remember those days with my first and look forward to them with my second. <3 I'm glad I found your blog because I love this link-up! I'm going to join you for FMF in the future. Thank you for this post!

8. M, S, and A's Mama says:

Beautiful post! I love that my June Bug is big enough now that she gives hugs left and right. The other morning getting ready for school I was getting frustrated with her taking so long to get ready, when she just stopped and hugged me and said, “It’s okay Mommy, I still love you even you yell at me sometimes.” Out of the mouths of babes, eh?

9. Joanne P says:

So sweet and so true! My older son is such a source of comfort, I can virtually feel the oxytocin flowing between us when we cuddle!
    My younger one (ASD) doesn’t do that but when he puts his little hand in mine that says “absolute trust” which is his way of expressing what I mean to him.

Comments are closed.