Five Minute Friday: Notice

14888259519_6a3bea646d_mThose who’d like to participate in Five Minute Friday will write for five minutes on the topic of the week, post it on their own blog and link up the post here.  This is meant to be a free write, which means: no editing, no over-thinking, no worrying about perfect grammar or punctuation.

Just write.

This week’s prompt is:  NOTICE

Sometimes I feel the only way to get noticed is to play with buzzwords that make you sound like you’re part of the in crowd.  It’s not how I prefer to operate, and I freely admit that it’s one of the reasons I’m where I am career-wise, life-wise, blog-wise.

I would rather be my authentic self, and that comes with consequences.

Most of the time, I honestly prefer not to be noticed.  I like to work in the background, doing my thing, getting things done, working toward the good of my team/family/friends.

Sometimes, though, a little recognition would be a nice thing because it gets exhausting.  I think that’s the point that I’ve reached this year.  I’m just flipping tired,  and I feel a bit taken for granted.

And that’s the price I pay for not playing the game.  I realize that.  I walk to the beat of my own drum most of the time.  The times I get noticed?  Are the times I’m playing the game everyone else expects me to play.

Lately that’s been a pondering of mine particularly in regards to blogging.  I participated in the Write 31 Days project last month.  I found it fascinating who were the popular ones vs. the unpopular ones.  It has made me question whether I made the right choice to join these blog projects.

Perhaps my expectations are too large – I’d like to be noticed for being myself, not being what someone else wants me to be.

Sorry, world.  Can’t do that.  This is who I am.

But in all honesty, I’m glad you stopped to notice me, even if just for a second.

Facebook Comments

9 comments

1. Abby says:

Hey Melissa, just be who you are. Who God created you to be. I know it’s exhausting. I am there too. I think winter brings it out of me. But you don’t want to be noticed for someone who isn’t the true you. Sending up a prayer for you today, girl. Glad I found you via FMF. -Abby

2. Anita Ojeda says:

Have you ever read about the love languages? I’ve found them very insightful into understanding why I feel like I need to be noticed! (Words of affirmation are actually a love language). I was just reading your bio and see you were born in MT–I love that place! We lived there for 13 years–great place to raise kids :). My husband got tired of the cold, though ;). (See, I march to the beat of my own drummer, too–often, a random drummer that runs down rabbit trails ;)). Be you. Be authentic. The blogging world is a giant place and sometimes it takes awhile to find a niche and home. Don’t give up.

3. Heather @ My Overflowing Cup says:

Thanks so much for sharing your heart with us today, Melissa! I just wrote recently (haven’t published it yet) about how we will face criticism and we will doubt, but if God has given us words to share, we must keep writing. We will get our notice and our appreciation when and where we need to. Perhaps we just focus on writing and being real and not worry about the rest? Thanks for sharing this post.

4. Kim says:

Nice to see you blogging again. I am not popular, and never will be, due mostly to not writing, but I totally know what you mean. Interesting changes going on in your life.

5. Colleen Mitchell says:

It can be discouraging at time to feel like “authenticity” is just another buzzword among the many. And to feel like you have to choose between your true voice and what is popular. I hope you keep choosing you. It’s so much better.

6. Amanda says:

You summed up how I feel. I want to share my story and just be me. I know there are rules i should be following to help grow my blog, but I just want to be authentic.
    I was also surprised by some of the popular 31 day blogs. I enjoyed writing my story, but it was hard to not get notice.
    Thanks for sharing. You are not alone. 🙂

7. Robin in Virginia says:

I enjoyed reading your post on ‘notice’ today. I think if more people were true to themselves, we wouldn’t have to play all the games.

Enjoy your weekend!

8. Laura says:

Thanks for sharing your honest thoughts. Even thought we know being true to ourselves, who we’ve been called to be, is the right thing, it sure doesn’t make it easier. Especially when we see others being promoted around us. But I truly believe when we do what is best and right, we are always notices by the right people for the right reasons. Keep up the good work! …visiting from FMF…

Comments are closed.