This will be a Stitch-a-Long (SAL) for fun, not a contest. Everyone stitches at a different pace, on different sized projects, with different goals and concepts of accomplishment, so a standard set of one-size-fits-all rules simply won’t work. So whether you’re a one-at-a-time stitcher or an insane rotationer like me, gather up the UFOs and WIPs on which you’d love to make good progress (or finish) and join us!
Here are the rules for the 2015 WIPocalypse:
1) To sign up, add your name to the auto-link at the bottom of this post, or leave a comment at the bottom of this page. There’s no deadline to sign up… so whether you’re returning from the WIPocalypse sometime between 2012 and 2014, or stumble across this page in December of 2015… come join us! The more the merrier!
2) Whenever you join us, make a list of the projects on which you wish to make progress. Add to and adjust this list throughout the year as you desire. There are no restrictions regarding new starts for this SAL. If you feel the desire to start a piece in 2015, add it to your list! The list is recommended so you can set goals for yourself (and relish in the accomplishment… and let us relish with you).
3) On each full moon (or thereabouts), post your progress photos to your site – even if your progress was slower than you hoped. Label that post with “WIPocalypse” to make it easy for readers to find – whether in the title, or however you categorize or tag entries.
4) Once you’ve posted, come over to my blog and find my full moon post, and comment that you’ve updated. There will be an auto-link provided so you can add your entry. If, for some reason, you cannot add your post – either add it to the comments or send me an email.
Giveaway Drawings! There will be at least two during the year in 2015. If you are hosting a giveaway on your blog and wish to give it a plug via the WIPocalypse, please email me a few days ahead of that month’s posting date, and I’ll be happy to include a plug for you.
Monthly Theme changes to Topics: For several years, there were various bloggers who had incarnations of the “Stitcher Blogger Questions.” Instead of specific designers, colors, etc… there will be a question or topic if you’d like to go further on your blog so we can all get to know our fellow stitchers. As always – this is optional. If you prefer to just share your progress, that’s just fine. 🙂 If you want to go further and suggest some additional topics to me, please do!
Full moon dates and Topics for 2015:
January 5- Topic: Introduce yourself, your projects, and any goals you have for the year!
February 4 – Topic: How do you overcome that feeling that you’re in a rut with a particular project?
March 5 – Topic: If money – and time – were not limiters, what projects would be on your stitching bucket list?
April 4 – Topic: Which specialty stitches do you love doing on projects? Which do you dread?
May 4 – Topic: I would like to know if you look for LNS’s when you travel. What is the favorite shop you’ve ever found? (via Stasha)
June 2 – Topic: Do you find yourself more productive with stitching in summer or winter?
July 2 – Topic: Reality or Fantasy. Which do you prefer to stitch? Figures or Abstract? (via Jo)
July 31 – Topic: What makes you pick up a long-abandoned UFO rather than beginning a new piece? (via Paula)
August 29 – Topic: Pick one of the WIP pieces you’ve stitched on this month, and tell us about your stitching journey with the piece.
September 28 – Topic: Where do you buy most of your stitching supplies?
October 27 – Topic: Are there any fibers or materials used in stitching that you’re nervous to try?
November 25 – Topic: Which designer has inspired you to stitch the greatest number of designs and why do you think that is? (via Hazel)
December 25 – Theme: Recap your accomplishments for the year! (Your finishes, your final before/after photos, etc). Note: Due to this full moon falling on Christmas Day, I’ll likely not post until the 26th or 27th.
Future topics for 2016 (to be assigned later):
– If you have any of your pieces on display in your home which attracts the most plaudits? (via Hazel)
– Do you use hoops, stretcher bars, lap stands or Q snap frames and why? (via CathieJ)
– What do you listen to while stitching? (via Jo)
Other Helpful Things...
Email Reminders! Join my blog mailing list, and receive a reminder about the WIPocalypse when it posts. Your email address will only be used for my newsletter (which comes out no more than once weekly… and usually monthly). You will have full control over subscribing, changing your email address, etc.
Want to get my blog entries in a weekly recap email? Add your address below!
Sidebar Buttons: New ones to be added by mid-December. If you’d like a customized button from one of your WIPs, please email it to me, and I’ll add the WIPocalypse 2015 and “Stitch like it’s the end of the world” onto the image. If you’re willing to allow it to be used by other stitchers, please let me know. You will get full credit for it.