Today was a day of finishing objectives. When I left for the library today, I told Erich that I’d be home by 2:30. His cousin was kind enough to take Max for the day, so Erich and I made some plans to do some much-needed cleaning and dining room reclaiming.
Last summer, we had moved the computer down to the dining room for me to work on my days from home. Our house is old and there is no central AC. We do have window units, but despite this… the upstairs can get pretty unbearable at times. It made more sense, both for comfort and for electricity use, to move the computer down to the dining room in front of one of the large window units. That way during the day we don’t have to run every unit in the house… just the one that I’m sitting next to. Originally we’d planned to move the computer back upstairs last autumn, and we’d play by ear for this summer whether it needed to move downstairs again.
And then everything in life happened. The computer remained on the dining room table. And everything else started to remain on the dining room table. Our house has been a physical symptom of the chaos and frustration both of us have been feeling now for quite some time.
Erich finally hit the depression over the house phase that I’ve been in for a long time – that “I need to do something, but there’s so much to do that I don’t even know where to start” phase. The difference is – he’s a bit more motivated to solve things than I am, and also a bit more willing to just dive in somewhere. He announced he was focusing on the dining room table, which meant I needed to focus on the upstairs guest bedroom to prepare for the computer to get back upstairs.
Tonight, I’m typing from the upstairs bedroom again. It’s not perfectly clean, but it’s 100% better than it was, and tomorrow we’ll get the floors mopped and vacuumed. Completely functional again!
So that’s one big project down.
The other, of course, was my stitching project. I didn’t get home at 2:30 as I’d promised Erich… it was more like 4 pm. BUT… BUT… I had good reason to be late. I finished Here Kitty Kitty today!
I’m very pleased with how it turned out! The cats are partially recolored from the original pattern… I used only colors that were part of the original palette list, but used them to approximate the cats we have in our horde at home. I added one black cat on the tall pumpkin, and omitted the fifth paw print that was originally there. So left to right, the cats represented are: Hoodz, Jack, Harry Potter, Gus, Bear, Elly, and Noby.
This was a fun stitch. It moved fast, the motifs were fun and easy to place. From beginning to end, this took me just over a month – incredibly quick for me.
I do plan on framing this one – either with a weathered white frame or something rustic. One of the women in my stitching group mentioned that Hobby Lobby had some frames that resembled weathered barnboard, which I think could work great, too. I just want something country/rustic for it.
I’ve heard hints that Little House Needleworks and Country Cottage Needleworks will be hosting another stitch-a-long for winter themed projects soon. I started this project for their autumn stitch-a-long, which was scheduled for Sept. 1st to Nov. 1st. I imagine the winter one will start on Jan. 1st and run for two months as well. I’ll have to see what patterns I already have in my stash to use for it!
Now to go through my current WIPs and decide what’s next for some progress stitching!