Obviously spoilery, although for now I’m not going into much detail because I’m still wrapping my head around it all.
Tag-Archive for ◊ torchwood ◊
So… the rain is back. *sigh* It’s chucking down pretty hard at the moment. And of course, this is the day I didn’t bring an umbrella. You’d think I’d be keeping one on me at all times after three plus weeks of near-daily rain, but no… that would be far too logical. Thankfully I do have the presence of mind to keep a spare in my file drawer here at the office. It’s a crappy one, but in a pinch it’ll do.
Loved Torchwood last night. Not going to discuss it at this point – I want to take in the entire series first. So I shall be spoiler-free until probably Friday night, unless ZOMG TORCHWOOD IS IN CARDIFF!!! is a spoiler now (based on fandom experiences, it would not surprise me). I will say that it’s very strange watching it now and recognizing places I’ve been, especially those stupid little insignificant places that mean nothing except a “hey! I recognize that!” Erich was feeling similarly amused last night.
The Tall Ships have started to arrive in Boston. So far there’s only one. It’s absolutely gorgeous, just sitting there dead-center in Boston Harbor. I’m hoping the weather will be nicer later this week so I can get some photos. I’ll stay late one night and wander down to Falcoln Pier where I presume they’ll be moored (given that it’s the cruise ship dock they were at last time).
Tonight’s plan is Torchwood, Deadliest Catch, and writing. The Support Stacie fic moves ever forward.
I’m a bit off-center this morning, mostly because Erich’s cough sent him into the guest bedroom last night so he didn’t have to feel paranoid about being restless (and allowing me to get some sleep). Very considerate of him, particularly since I am such a shitty sleeper as it is.
I did sleep, but I swear, even while asleep, I had this weird sense about being alone in the bed. Marriage is clearly getting to me. Not that we haven’t slept in the same bed for six years now, of course… but still… there’s a LOT of room for one person in a king-sized bed.
The extra room, of course, promptly filled up with cats. I woke up with three balls of fur in various spots on the mattress. I imagine at least one of the additionals was with Erich, playing nurse kitten. Hoodsie was undoubtedly downstairs on his ottoman. Cat #5 (whichever it was) was… wherever.
I have a lot to do this weekend, but I’m intentionally forcing myself to take as much of Saturday as possible to curl up in my office and do some brain-dump style writing. Whether on my OSK fic, other fic ideas, or just random schlock writing. I need to get myself comfortable with my own thoughts, and I just need to make the time for it. As I told Erich last night – what I really need to do is just set aside a day, dump off all of my chores and errands as “will do later” and just let myself go for it. If I plan other things to do, I won’t be able to relax and write. It just won’t happen at all.
So that’s tomorrow’s plan. We’ll see what comes of it. I do have a lot of little snippets of ideas churning, so it literally may just be writing 100 word images in my head that have absolutely no coherancy beyond the immediate images. But hey, they’ll be down in print. And I can see later if something comes of any of them. I just need to get them OUT. If I’m getting too distracted at home, a trip down to Borders for a pot of tea may be used as well.
Speaking of tea…
The sorority Tea is on Sunday afternoon for the potential new class of pledges membership candidates, so I’ll be going up to Boston for the afternoon. Should be fun. Hopefully goes well. Need to remember to go buy a car battery beforehand so I can actually get to Boston, though. That may have to kick off Saturday pre-writing.
I read last night that next week’s Torchwood is a double-bill. Eps 5 and 6 will be shown back to back on BBC2. Six is the first of Martha’s run on TW… we’ll see if something’s actually done with her character now that the dreaded unrequited love crap on Who is over.
Proud of everyone who went to vote yesterday – I know we bitch about our votes not mattering, but they’d matter less if we didn’t go out to express opinions at all. I, by the way, have not yet had the opportunity to vote. Rhode Island was not part of Super Tuesday. So my shiny “I voted” sticker will be coming next month. They didn’t update my voter registration correctly when I renewed my driver’s license – it’s still under my maiden name. But I have my passport still under that name, so I’ll bring it in case I’m asked for ID. *shrug* Then I’ll change it for the formal elections in November.
Didn’t get fanfic writing done yesterday as I’d hoped. My brain is just tapped, I think. It’s frustrating, but I’m at the point where forcing it will make the situation worse. I need to relax, and eventually the words will come. I could try drunken writing again, I assume.
New Torchwood tonight. Woot.
Kara raid last night was… interesting. I was distracted all to hell, and stupidly pulled a couple mobs when I shouldn’t have, and my freeze/frost traps were all confused. *sigh* But we did okay. The Thursday raid group will have Aran through the end to clear, as we just stumbled on Aran last night. No idea why – past attempts hadn’t been bad. No other party wipes, though – which was good considering that we only had one priest to shackle for half of the night.
News continues to come in on my friend Rob. He’s better in some ways, confusing the hell out of the doctors in others. The docs brought him in for a biopsy yesterday. Meanwhile, he’s regaining some of the use of his lungs, and now is awake a bit more often. He’s irritated with the tubes, which actually is a very good sign.
Lots to think about. Lots to do.
I haven’t posted here on measi(dot)net in a while – it honestly has been slipping my mind. I don’t know. I think I just want to keep all of the fandom insanity separate from my blog over here, but it seems that my life is just wrapped in fandom these days… so, eh. I probably just should let it bleed over and give up, eh?
In any case, it’s been insane since the beginning of the year, and here’s my thirteen things that have been taking over my life since the New Year:
1) Birthday celebrations. I’m 33, had a fantastic birthday with friends over a Pats game and some delicious strawberry hookah smoking.
2) The Patriots. Sundays have been owned by football. Absolutely owned. And I’m loving it. The Superbowl party is in the works.
3) Being sick. I fell ill with a cold on New Year’s Eve, and still have the annoying cough that goes with it, despite otherwise feeling fine. It’s not a painful cough, mostly in the mornings and evenings, but the cold weather (and the hookah smoking on my birthday) didn’t help.
4) Fanfic writing. I’ve been finishing up pieces that were due around the holidays. Got one done and posted last week. Now I’m working on the other one, which I hope to have completed this month. A small idea just snowballed and, with some help from another writer, looks to be a much better, satisfying piece.
5) Work. I’ve been absolutely insane with work lately. Lots of little projects, lots of paperwork to get through because insurance policies have just renewed as of the first of the year, and lots of really random little things like redesigning the company letterhead (eep!)
6) Torchwood & Doctor Who – Torchwood Series 2 just started airing in the UK last week, and it starts on BBCA this Saturday, along with Doctor Who series 3. Both shows are must-see, IMHO. The second series of Torchwood is already MUCH better than the first. Much slicker, stronger plots, and much more sure of itself. And Series 3 Who? Absolutely wonderful. The first six episodes are a mixed bag, but the last seven are much-watch. Particularly Human Nature, Family of Blood, and Blink which should be on in March. You must watch Blink if you haven’t done so. It’s a brilliant piece of television, regardless of science fiction leanings. It’s up for a Nebula award, and undoubtedly will go up for a Hugo this year (the writer, Steven Moffat, has won for his Who outings the past two years).
7) Money issues. Erich and I have been… let’s say, stressed. Partially holidays related, partially increase in heating bills related, and partially issues that come up with his mom’s estate. I’m just really worried about financing our trip to England in October.
8) Emotional stuff. Erich’s worn down by his mom’s estate affairs. I’m worn down from being constantly on the run since, oh, last August. We’re both in dire need of a break. Thankfully we’re not snapping at each other, but both of us are just exhausted.
9) The weather. Unlike last year, where it was nearly 50 degrees for a good portion of January, it’s been quite cold with lingering snow. I think it’s contributing to some of the emotional exhaustion.
10) Attempting to get our lives back in order. Vet appointments are being caught up on, getting stuff cleaned around the house, finishing up the final few thank you notes from the wedding, etc. – we have a lot of little projects around the house that we desperately want to get done.
11) Cat issues. Along with the generic vet appointment, we’ve been dealing with some feline frustration. One of the cats was taking to peeing all over the house. We’ve added a couple additional cat boxes (one upstairs, one out in the sunroom), and that seems to have stopped most of it. We still have an idiot cat who is apparently going into a cat box and peeing, not realizing its ass is hanging out of the box when it goes, though. Haven’t caught the culprit, but somehow I think it’s one of our bigger three – Colley, Gus, or Hoodsie.
12) World of Warcraft. Attempting to have some me-time has resulted in a lot of hours playing WoW again, and doing all of the in-game related stuff I’ve wanted to do but couldn’t commit the time to while also planning the wedding. Meaningless to real life, of course, but still a little sense of accomplishment all the same.
13) I really don’t have a thirteen. Maybe commuting time? The MBTA continues to suck and get worse. This morning’s sightseeing excursion on the commuter rail took us ringing around the city through Dorchester because apparently there was something wrong on the mainline track. Never mind the fact that when we got to the junction where both lines meet up by South Station, there were three trains that came through the main line. AND, our train was forced to wait through three trains coming through (10 minutes, standing still), despite us being the ones that were running 20 minutes late into the station. *sigh*
Will February calm down? I hope so!
- So… to my honest surprise, part two of Life in Passing went over well. It had been mostly finished on my computer for about a tenday, but some reviews that I received from part one had me reluctant to post – particularly since I’d struggled so much to write the damned thing. But I had to post it, because it was a gift piece.
When I was doing a final read-over yesterday, I felt something was missing, and added the scene with Jack walking through the storage room. I’m slightly amused that so many people really like THAT scene (considering it was written in about three minutes, ad-hoc, just before posting).
But I’m glad it’s posted. And I am quite happy with it.
- Now I just need to turn my eye onto my pinch hit piece for OSK, which also is mostly done. It needs a once-over. But before I do that, I’ll be doing the beta work for Rae (probably during my commute tonight) on Disheveled.
- Torchwood Series 2 begins tonight. Woot. Yes, I will have upload posts as soon as I can get them up. Since I’ll be in the middle of a train ride when the torrents start popping up, I’ve shown Erich how to start them. It’ll be interesting to see if they’re done by the time I get home. Doubt it, based on what I saw for VotD.
- Worked through the beginnings of two instances in WoW last night toward my Karazan key for a single quest. Did a couple daily quests and raised my rep up with a couple different groups to Honored. And then I went fishing for a while over in Tanaris. Picked up a crapload of mid-level stuff to sell in the AH, and raised my fishing skill up 13 points. I’m now at an even 300. Can’t complain – it was a very good, fruitful night of Warcraft.
- And that’s it. Off to work. More later.